Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Spikenard

"Awake, O north wind; and come, thou south; blow upon my garden, that the spices thereof may flow out."
                                                                                                                          Song of Solomon 4:16

I am thinking of the ointment of spikenard... that which was in the alabaster box. I am not really sure what spikenard is. I mean, I never knew of ever having any "spikenard" in my house. I have heard of roses and clovers and orange blossoms, oregano, basil and thyme, but not spikenard. Whatever spikenard is, it must smell intense, for this is the scent that Mary used in her Alabaster box ointment when she wiped Jesus' feet with her hair. (John 12:3) and it filled the room.

Spikenard or (nard) I am told by those who write and talk about it, was considered a luxury of ancient times. They say that it's aromatic, has healing properties and at that time in history, it was rare. It still is, as it grows only at high altitudes.

Inquiring as to it's aroma, I am told by herb sellers that nard has sweet and spice musky scent smalling somewhat like dirt or earth. One person on the internet says that it doesn't smell like any of the other herbal oils. It's an interesting herb to me, mainly because of it's mention in the Bible, but also because I have always enjoyed fragrances however I have not thought much of this one before.

Here are some places where the Bible speaks of spikenard.

Song of Solomon 1:12 While the king sitteth at his table, my spikenard sendeth forth the smell thereof.

Song of Solomon 4:13 Thy plants are an orchard of pomegranates, with pleasant fruits; camphire, with spikenard and saffron; calamus and cinnamon, with all trees of frankincense; myrrh and aloes, with all the chief spices: A fountain of gardens, a well of living waters, and streams from Lebanon. Awake, O north wind; and come, thou south; blow upon my garden, that the spices thereof may flow out. Let my beloved come into his garden, and eat his pleasant fruits.

Mark 14:3-9 And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head. And there were some that had indignation within themselves, and said, Why was this waste of the ointment made? For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her. And Jesus said, Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me.
For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always. She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying.

Jesus said, "Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her."

John 12:3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.

Spikenard....


No comments:

Post a Comment